Sunday, April 29, 2012

Independent Component 2



Literal
(a) Statement saying: “I, Kenji Karuhaka, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.” 
(b) For my independent component, I decided to complete tasks that require some kind of technical or mechanical work. I looked at circuit boards and soldered off components such as diodes, resistors, and capacitors of different sizes. My father also taught me about how to remove and replace components without damaging the traces in the board. I also have had problems with my laptop and replaced the LCD monitor and d/c input jack for the charger. While I was replacing the monitor, I originally thought it was a bad connector, however, after testing a new one, I realized the LCD was damaged. I also worked on my R/C car. At my service learning, I was told that it is good for biomeds to have hobbies such as R/C since it teaches about basic electronics as well as allowing you to practice different skills. This caused me to get back into R/C and learn about all the different components and how to replace worn or damaged parts.
Interpretive
It shows 30 hours of work because as I was doing the different tasks, I also had to learn about what I was doing. I had to look up instructions on how to complete tasks the right way as well as plan what I had to do. The task itself would also at times be hard, due to losing of components, not being able to locate a certain part, or just figuring out how to attack the problem. The work was time consuming and sometimes caused me to work in my room for a few hours at a time, but it would be fun.
Applied
It helped with my original EQ of what is most important for success as a biomedical engineer because I was able to use skills usually used by engineers of different fields. My new EQ, "What is most important when creating prosthetics using biomedical engineering?" was helped because I got to work with different mechanical systems that use motors and pulleys with my R/C car which can be used in robotic prosthetics.

No comments:

Post a Comment